Doug’s Blog

Handily dispensing information to .00000001% of the world’s population

Archive for February, 2015

Installing MDB Tools in CentOS 7

Wednesday, February 25th, 2015

MDB tools sure do come in handy when you have to handle someone’s old nasty microsoft access files!

On older Centos, I could just yum add mdbtools, but on Centos 7 I found the following was required.

First, you need to make sure you add these packages (you may need others in addition but these were the ones I had to add):

yum -y install glib2-devel
yum -y install autoconf
yum -y install automake
yum -y install txt2man
yum -y install gnome-doc-utils
yum -y install libtool
yum -y install unixODBC unixODBC-devel
yum -y install flex flex-devel bison bison-devel

Why did I split all that into 8 lines when I guess we could have just stuck them all in one? Why did I put flex and bison in one line, but not others? Who knows! Just roll with it.

Then you need to grab the source and compile:

mkdir tmp1; cd tmp1
git clone https://github.com/brianb/mdbtools.git mdbtools
cd mdbtools
autoreconf -i -f
./configure –with-unixodbc=/usr
make
make install

 

SSH hangs when expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP

Wednesday, February 25th, 2015

I encountered this odd issue when I went to SSH from a new CentOS 7 box to an older system, and it just hung with no response. Turning on verbose showed me where it was hanging:

debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP

I found a number of suggestions on the ‘net as to how to handle this, but the below worked for me. It is a compatibility issue with a newer openSSH connecting to an older one that doesn’t have ciphers as strong.

You need to edit /etc/ssh_config and I added the following to the bottom, so it is under the “host *” items:

SendEnv LANG LC_*
HashKnownHosts yes
GSSAPIDelegateCredentials no
Ciphers aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,arcfour256,arcfour128,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc
HostKeyAlgorithms ssh-rsa,ssh-dss
MACs hmac-md5,hmac-sha1,hmac-ripemd160

Google Maps API stopped working on IE

Thursday, February 19th, 2015

Just got reports today from customers that websites with Google Maps Javascript API stopped working, and it seems Google made some changes a day or so ago.

I found a link that had helpful information, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28582943/google-maps-v3-19-wont-load-using-embedded-vb6-browser and the exact fix that worked for me was adding this META tag:

<meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=EDGE” >